Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Uncle Leon

My Uncle Leon passed this afternoon. Machines kept him alive, but his spirit was ready to go Home. We will be heading to Ohio for his funeral this weekend.


Uncle Leon, is a man of God, he served under Dr. Criswell, was President of Clear Creek Baptist College in Tennesee, served on the Southern Baptist Sunday School Board, and just recently pastored a church in northern Ohio. My Uncle was my kind of Pastor. He was always reading a dozen books and thinking about the sweet love of His Savior. He had such a tender heart in his preaching and in his day to day communicating. You never saw him without a smile on his face. He even learned the German language so he could read some of the fabulous German theologians! Brilliant man!


As his life hung in the balance the last couple of days I am struck by eternity. I just read a quote by Martin Luther in a book Tricia and I are reading together, he said, "There are only two days on my calendar, this day and that day." It is in moments like these that I am sobered by the reminder that "That day" governs "this day."


Oh, beloved of God. I will see my wonderful Uncle Leon again on "That Day." I am promised by my Lord that I have been sealed with a promise that I will praise Him for all eternity. I hope you will be there too, so I can introduce the two of you. You will like my Uncle Leon, he was one of our Father's prized sons. He spent his life for the Savior and for the preaching of the Gospel.


"I have come to seek and to save that which was lost." - Jesus

No comments: