Monday, November 22, 2010

A Christian's Freedom

We have all struggled with that verse in 1 Corinthians, "Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble."

How do you wrestle with this verse? Go and read 1 Corinthians 8 and 10, maybe also Romans 14.

I don't want you to sermonize me. I want you to give me your honest struggles, i.e.:

Is it okay to watch R rated movies?

When and where is it safe to have an alcoholic drink?

Are these the type of questions you are asking? What kind of questions do you ask?

I would love to hear back from you on this!

1 comment:

JobenotHobay said...

I think you're right. This is something each of us must "work out...with fear and trembling." These are some issues I've had to think through in light of all this.

Alcoholism is something I've seen destroy lives through health and poor judgment. The scriptures are clear about drunkeness and it's foolishness, but what about a glass of wine with my wife for celebration? I've had to consider how far was too far and my own tendency to overdo it with sweets and snacks. This has led me to decide to stay away from the temptation altogether since it would not be "profitable" for me.

Dating is another "gray area" in our society, and we've all probably seen how typical dating strategies can be UNprofitable. When I met my wife and we became interested in pursuing our relationship together we sat down and discussed that we were not interested in another dating relationship. We agreed that if we ever got to a point where marriage was out of the question, we would call it off. We also agreed not to kiss each other for an entire year before our wedding. This was our personal decision based on what would be profitable for us and what would cause us to stumble.